Saturday 23 May 2015

DIY Bedroom Decor


Meet my niece,Jasmine.She has been bathed  by the gods of good genes.May I add as a scientific fact,she is the ultimate deep end of her gene pool.Thus,in a much digital forward language...hmmm...how would we say this?She has been born enhanced by special effects, all her photos should caption:no filter and for real.Sworn.I am barely done,may i also add...your few minutes in vanity fair are officially over,you will need to top up to proceed.Moving along now...


At a party fit for a little princess,i saw her turn another year older,I could not be more proud.She'll turn into an awesome woman before i know it,i hoped and thought-and still do.And just by the slightest chance she turns out different from what we all expect(yes,that grey area,the story of the misfits;we all know these things are real).She will still be my niece and I will still equally be proud and show her off to my friends,similarly as my aunts do with me.Such are the joys of another age and I am by far looking forward to.Note to Jasmine:Aunties are far  open minded and keep a million and one secrets too.Sincerely your #1 fan.Ain' aunties the coolest?*prints sold out t-shirts*I will have you know they were sold out before I even thought of the idea. :-p

Now for what brought you here.Finally.I was growing weary myself.Duly noted,she has grown older thus the need of her own room,and who would her mom be if she did not want to make her feel special.Dee,momma bear,who works for the CIA which is the reason why i barely have a current photo of her...well... i kid.Anyway,Dee requested me to help her repaint Jasmine's new bedroom walls into a lime green, and with no absolute hesitation, I beamed  a yes.Further,i suggested that I do a chevron print on one of the walls then plainly paint the other.She is quite the gambler.I had no record of ever doing this but hey,how else would i learn to?I figure I'm a gambler too?





Above are the walls that would meet the extra coat(s) of paint as desired.
Right below are the requirements:

-triangle ruler(a leveling ruler would work best,we couldn't find one but that wasn't stopping us)
-painter's tape
-small brush
-roller(a normal brush with fine bristles works better)
-1litre water soluble duracoat paint
With my pencil in hand,I drew a grid on the walls,after measuring the wall,which was 240cm in  height,plus or minus the errors.Finally, applying math besides the normal addition and subtraction we all have to be good at to make sure these touts we all have a terrible notion of don't short change you.Hiyo ten bob ni muhimu.
After griding the wall, I taped the grid squares from corner to corner to create chevron border lines,as illustrated below.

Thereafter,I poured a portion of paint into a bucket and mixed to a suitable consistency with a proprotionally  unequal amount of  water.Remember to tape on the areas you dont want the paint to drip over.You can use newspapers to protect your floor.The uber best thing about this paint is it's water soluble,meaning,you can scrub out the paint drips afterwards.
After hours of getting down,dirty and coloured...results!
I outlined the chevron border lines with the small brush before using the bigger brush so as to have cleaner lines.Put two coats of paint and immediately removed the borderline tape before the second coat dried.It took about an hour or two for the first coat to dry.Dont you just love this water soluble one?It on the fast lane of life much like our fast lives.I am craving fries(walks to the shop) Minutes later..burp!Fast life, hey!
Cream and lime green chevron wall.
I thought i was done after all this but Dee wasn't.She had DIYed heaven kissed potraits for this room.

Ain't they lovely?
... to position them neatly on the wall with some nails and a hammer.Now for the heavy part.Dee Thor-armed that hammer with a skill  I am yet to master and drove them home.

I was too busy taking cartoonized photos of the room to take a real photo of her at work.Bare with me please. :) 
Four nails on the wall later...

...and us finally filling the room with Jasmine's stuff.A side view dose...
Later a full room...



 
In this age,generation Y or not,selfies are taken, captioning anything on this face of earth and beyond.The perks of imagination#limitless.Whilst taking my  'groundie',Jasmine who was lurking in the background decided she wanted in,so she huddled next to me.
She noticed the leopard print cloth i used to protect my lungs from the paint fumes.Classy lady this little one , you would think...but wait...she decided she can do that too and kept looking over her shoulder until she got it right.Then,she looked into the camera with mastered confidence and there we had it,our after work 'groundie'.~The Chronicles of Monkey See, Monkey Do~.At her age, we grown ups just have to be in our best behaviour around them.Well,luckily i just taught her how to look like a ninja devoid the hobo beanie.Sorry hobo beanie...still my fav on a cold day#wink.
This decor took two days inclusive of all the drawbacks.By the time all was done,my right hand weighed a tonne.I had stretched my muscles to the moon and back without as little as a notice.I really need to start toning these arms.*note to self*On the bright side though,much greater things came about the stretching,and I afforded a smile probably even a smirk in the slighest.
Happy moving in or rather independence day to my favorite cartoon...


...and dont forget the goofs.



6 comments: